The growing number of EV markets around the world was driven by many factors, which includes innovation in battery manufacturing and EV battery technology. Take a closer look on the EV battery trends and its benefit for the future:
EV Battery Trends
Here are the EV battery trends that is taking place right now, and will continue on in the foreseen future
- EV Sales Around the GlobeEV sales around the globe have risen significantly. Around 6,3 million EV has been sold worldwide, with Europe and China being the biggest market. The number is almost twice as much as the previous year.
The electric car waiting list itself has blown out to an undefined number – rumored to be around 3 million globally. On the other hand, many OEMs or electric car manufacturers close order books for certain models. The demand for EVs continues to rise, while supplies, particularly for an EV battery, are limited. Development and innovation regarding EV battery technology are a must in this industry.
- EV Battery Capacity ImprovementAnother trend in the EV battery industry is the improvement of battery capacity. The average EV battery capacity between 2015 and 2022 has increased by 81% in Europe and China, and by 71% in the US. The average EV battery technology capacity in the US is higher than in Europe and China due to the demand for longer-range vehicles.
- Faster Charging SpeedIn addition to improving its capacity, the latest trend in EV battery technology also includes faster charging. EV users demand faster charging time for the sake of productivity. Today, the most common charging systems are 250 kW chargers, and now many companies have moved toward 500 kW chargers. Faster charging requires an improved battery anode with more silicon in it to allow the electrons to move faster.
The use of silicon in anodes is set to become a trend over the next 10 years. It is projected that the demand of silicon in anodes will increase 106 times more in 2031, compared to the demand in 202.
- EV Battery Pack Enclosure (Aluminum vs Composite Enclosure)Aluminum is a light material that is easy to use, which makes it the most favorable material for the enclosure of EV battery packs. However, the demand has started to shift from aluminum to composite – which is lighter and sturdier than aluminum. The demand for using composite components has become a new trend and most likely will keep going in the future. It is estimated that in 2031, the demand of composite is 63.5 times more than in 2020.
EV Battery Technology Innovation
The trend in EV battery technology is always about innovation on improving a high-quality battery. Some of the latest innovations in this area are:
- Nanobolt Lithium batteries with tungsten and multilayered carbon nanotubes, helps to improve battery power storage and charging demands.
- Zinc manganese oxide battery with the ability to expand storage properties and allows EV users to store huge amounts of emission-free electricity.
- EV battery technology innovation in the form of organosilicon electrolyte battery that allows safe battery production and disposal, where it reduces its flammability properties.
- Gold nanowire gel electrolyte battery is capable of improving EV battery safety, extending battery life span, and helping out the environment by keeping lithium out of the land.
- Two-string cell battery is part of EV battery technology innovation that can expand EV battery capacity and allow for faster charging time (within minutes).
- Hydrogen fuel cell battery, which is more sustainable and more efficient than lithium batteries.
The Advantage of a Better Quality EV Battery
EV batteries offer tremendous benefits for the future. Many parties will benefit from EV batteries and their applications, including the manufacturer, the government, human well-being, and the environment.
- EVs’ OEMs and manufacturersThe growth of EV battery technology will drive the industry forward. The question will no longer be “will EVs be the future of transportation?” but rather “how large it will be?”. The bigger the growth, the brighter the future for EV OEMs and manufacturers.
- The governmentThe growth of the EV industry will help the government greatly, especially in tackling the fossil-fuel-based transportation issue. The diminishing resources of fossil fuels will no longer be a problem in the future.
- The environment and global ecosystemBy investing in EVs, we protect the global ecosystem by reducing air pollution and gas emissions from fossil fuel transportation modes. By reducing air pollution, society will also be able to conserve biodiversity.
- Human health and well-beingAir pollution and gas emissions affects individuals’ health and well-being negatively. By reducing the amount of pollution and emissions, we are greatly improving individuals’ health.
- Minimizing MSWAnother advantage of improving EV battery life is minimizing municipal solid waste (MSW) and toxic runoff that could damage the environment.The EV industry and EV battery technology are part of a sustainable solution. It brings huge advantages for everyone and is not limited to certain parties only.